The Department of Disabilities, Aging and Independent (DAIL) is updating the 2009 Choices for Care regulations. The goal is to modernize the rules within the Medicaid Health Care Administrative Rules (HCAR) in a cleaner format. DAIL is also proposing to update the Moderate Needs Program waitlist policy from chronological to a priority system (similar to the current High Needs wait list process), as long as the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) says it is okay to do so without an amendment to Vermont's Global Commitment waiver. Please note, at this time, the goal is to avoid significant changes to the Choices for Care regulations that would also require a Global Commitment amendment. Having said that, all feedback is welcome and valued.
- September 2018 - March 2019: Draft language into the HCAR format and first internal review by DAIL, Medicaid Policy and interested Departments.
- March 2019 - April 2019: Informal feedback solicited from stakeholders.
- April 2019 - May 2019: Follow up conversations with stakeholders and prepare draft rules for filing.
- July/August 2019: File draft regulations with the Interagency Committee on Administrative Rules (ICAR)
- August/September 2019: File regulations with Legislative Committee on Administrative Rules (LCAR). Formal 30-day public input and LCAR hearing scheduled.
- October 4, 2019: Public Hearing at the Waterbury State Complex, Oak Conference Room, 10 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- February 13, 2020: Legislative Committee on Administrative Rules Hearing
- Apri 2020: Finalize and disseminate regulations.
Documents and Reference Links
- Link to Currrent Choices for Care Regulations
- Summary of Informal Stakeholder Input - June 2019
- DRAFT Choices for Care Regulations Packet Submitted to Secretary of State's Office
- List of Proposed Changes by Section- August 2019
- Link to the Vermont Office of the Secretary of State, Rule #19P054
- Link to Vermont Health Care Administrative Rules Web Page
Contact Information for Sending Feedback
Mail: Megan Tierney-Ward, Division Director
Adult Services Division
HC2 South, 280 State Drive
Waterbury, VT 05671-2070